Observations.

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Re: Observations.

Post by coderJeff »

I want the project to succeed and I find myself in a leadership type position. I take full responsibility. I trust paul doe, Imortis, and fxm, because they care about the project. I trust them to think for themselves and I trust them to discuss options when needed. I was aware of jj2007's ban before, during, and after. I reviewed.

@Munair, if we didn't have moderators, nobody would be banned and the forum would continue to accumulate a junk pile of harmful and unrelated posts. Then others would leave, or not return, or never join.

@dodicat, ya, it cuts both ways. If I can't attract people that are interested and support the project, it's all over.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

It all started for me here coderjeff, at the top of the page.
viewtopic.php?p=256269&hilit=%2Anew%2A+ ... or#p256269
Yourself and counting_pine made a fool of me, I should have left there and then.
To join such a pair as yourself and counting_pine was unthinkable.
But I had friends in the forum and I continued on in squares for a time.
But my steam was all gone by that time.
If I am not kicked out I shall continue to try and support gas64, or at least report any bugs.
I won't bother with Observations anymore, unless world war three starts of course.
grindstone

Post by grindstone »

dodicat wrote: Feb 24, 2022 11:33...unless world war three starts of course.
Speak of the devil and the devil shows up!

My 2 cents to jj2007: To ban him permanently was an overreaction and should be corrected, IMHO
Munair

Post by Munair »

coderJeff wrote: Feb 24, 2022 10:49 I@Munair, if we didn't have moderators, nobody would be banned and the forum would continue to accumulate a junk pile of harmful and unrelated posts.
That is a ridiculous response. Nowhere did I suggest that there shouldn't be moderators.
grindstone wrote: Feb 24, 2022 12:17 My 2 cents to jj2007: To ban him permanently was an overreaction and should be corrected, IMHO
I fully agree that it was an overreaction.
SARG

Post by SARG »

dodicat wrote: Feb 24, 2022 9:37 IMO SARG has made the biggest contribution recently. One person versus the whole gcc team.
I would urge members to test their code with -gen gas64 and report bugs to SARG so that branch of freeBASIC can blossom.
I won't be posting much more in fb, but I will be testing my old code in -gen gas64 and reporting singularities.
Very appreciated, thanks. :D
Don't forget Jeff, he did (and continue) a great job on many subjects.
speedfixer

Post by speedfixer »

My opinion on several points:

The ban wasn't an over-reaction. jj was told time and again that the forum is for FB, not a platform to push MASM.

I agree with dodicat on a generality: some of the moderators have an elitist attitude. If you can't appreciate 'classical' programming techniques, you don't deserve to speak. "Classical" means - stuff the teachers and industry names preach. GOTO is an example.

CERTAINLY not our current master moderator, but two others could be easily named.

NOT criticise a moderator?
Sure, why not? And let Putin march as he chooses, also.
There is a very republican forum group management style used here and it is RARE. Respect it.

Some people will always be too personally sensitive: that's just who they are. I don't feel that was the case, here.

Too fast a ban? There are a few cases where we all would have liked to see a ban SOONER than it happened. Always: case-by-case basis required.

I've been drafted multiple times to handle a large assortment of people in a group.
Two things always happen:

Someone is always really unhappy.
If the goal isn't well defined and shared by all - things will deteriorate; nothing will get done.

Balance is hard and won't ever be perfect.

No one should let treatment of another get in the way of YOU chasing your own goal.
dodicat, I doubt you came here to affect the culture of FB. You came with some interest and desire ... for yourself.
Same as me and others.

The culture in any group will change in time - and it will change again.

This is a totally minor blip on the radar.
Maybe paul doe did act in haste. At least he has feedback and suggestions how it might be handled differently IN THE FUTURE.
But I see no sour grapes here, anywhere. jj MAY not be happy, but he doesn't seem to be hurt.

It all happened yesterday. Its over. Look forward.

david
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I must respond to speedfixer's post.
speedfixer wrote:jj was told time and again that the forum is for FB, not a platform to push MASM.
In my communications with jj2007 he has assured me that it was never his intention to promote MASM but to simply refer to it as a comparison. I have often compared PowerBASIC with FreeBASIC, both here and at PowerBASIC, without ever intending to promote either. I actually enjoy using both languages.
jj MAY not be happy, but he doesn't seem to be hurt.
Where is the evidence for that? Take it from me, he is hurt.
St_W

Post by St_W »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Feb 25, 2022 0:00[...] I have often compared PowerBASIC with FreeBASIC, both here and at PowerBASIC, without ever intending to promote either. I actually enjoy using both languages.
You did not repeatedly answer with PowerBASIC code (and no FreeBASIC code) to programming question on this forums, just to bring up one example. So there certainly were not-so-wise actions performed by jj. However, I can't (and won't) judge whether such things justify a ban - that's the difficult decision of the moderators.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

St_W wrote:that's the difficult decision of the moderators.
I have said previously that Peer Support Communities are not democracies, but nor should they be totalitarian.

A constructive critique of FreeBASIC should be allowed. jj2007's wording employed may have been ill-advised but his first language is not English either.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

Constructive criticism is allowed. Repeating the same critique again and again is not, because it doesn't add anything
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Human beings are not computers. We may have to repeat ourselves when what we have said is not being addressed. Every so often, we have to repeat ourselves before they sink in. How many times have you said: “You are not listening to me.” and then repeat what you have just said.
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

St_W wrote: Feb 25, 2022 0:51 You did not repeatedly answer with PowerBASIC code (and no FreeBASIC code) to programming question on this forums,
As a very apt parallel, I used to do exactly this on the masm forum. As in, I could answer the questions people posted, but who has time to write all their code in assembly? So I posted the answers in C instead.

And then, after a while, all on my own (because my mum says I'm a big boy now), I realised that posting lots of C on an assembly specific forum probably wasn't very helpful to most people there and so just stopped doing that. And that meant I wouldn't be very helpful full stop, so to combat that I employed a fancy tactic - I didn't go to the masm forum any more.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

:D

A bit of humour at last. What we do without humour?
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.

Choosing to be offended by a post on the internet is like seeing dig sh1t on the footpath and choosing to step in it rather than walking around it. (I was argued with last time I said this!).

I suggest a valid tactic is to just ignore posts you don't like. The poster, (who loves nothing more than creating controversy) will eventually be discouraged and long threads like this and similar recent others simply won't exist.

I think the moderators do an excellent job in a difficult environment. Well done all of them, I would not want that job no matter the incentive.

Cheer up and move on please.
angros47

Post by angros47 »

I think I have replied before to that objection: if your neighbor brings his dog to soil on the sidewalk in front of your home, and he does it everyday, wouldn't you complain with the home owner association?