bit-aligned read & write

General FreeBASIC programming questions.
Munair

Re: packed bits

Post by Munair »

fxm wrote:Anyway, I think it's not the moderator's job to add a description of the code when it's missing !
Definitely agree with that.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Munair wrote:I'm amazed to see that someone who joined in 2005 throws a code snippet on the forum without any description,
This is a classic case of this forum's moderation being far too lenient. I am a great believer in 'nipping things in the bud' to avoid 'making a rod for our own back'. Two idioms in one sentence. I hope that no one objects. Fortunately, idioms can be 'Googled' if not seen before.
fxm

Post by fxm »

I think that the author of such a code punishes himself for this lack of description because there will be no expected substantive discussion but only at best a criticism of the form (or otherwise no response).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

fxm wrote:punishes himself
I don't think so. I am not referring to dafhi here but incompetent people tend to be so daily and are oblivious to their lack of competence. On the contrary, they tend to overestimate their competence.
jj2007

Post by jj2007 »

deltarho[1859] wrote:I am a great believer in 'nipping things in the bud' to avoid 'making a rod for our own back'. Two idioms in one sentence. I hope that no one objects. Fortunately, idioms can be 'Googled' if not seen before.
Google translate fails the second one, but DeepL gets it right
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I meant regarding an explanation — not a translation.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I won't contribute to the battle of wits here for fear of overheating again.
Dafhi, I usually run your code though the pp switch to clarify things, I can peruse your comments at leisure.
And thank you the fast and very robust random number generator you gave the forum a few weeks ago, no complaints about that one I recall.
dafhi

Post by dafhi »

well thanks guys for all your comments. Richard posted code years ago and i immediately guessed the functioning from just the words pack and unpack. I could have been wrong, and I never actually looked to try to understand the code.

The way I see it, there appear to be two basic code-perusal thought types
1. tell me why i need this
2. this is what i'm looking for

if my description is as clear as mud, both of the following are likely true
1. i'm not as competent as i think i am
2. the code isn't for you

Thank you dodicat for your kind words. Still working on my new image format. I know I can get a reasonable image facsimile in a few dozen bytes ;)

[edit:] also, thanks for testing the rng