Revamping the forum?

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
Munair

Re: Revamping the forum?

Post by Munair »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
coderJeff wrote:@Munair, @j8w344c6, @miilvyxg,

We don't need to see your opinions about computers languages in every topic.
Thanks
And more so since this thread is entitled 'Revamping the forum?'.

Forum policy has been given a right kicking in this thread.
I started this thread and I responded to marcov mentioning TP. So why am * I * mentioned in that post and not him? I'm certainly not the one pressing for major changes in the FB compiler mentioning all those computer languages in the process as we've seen in recent weeks and I do not wish to be put in the same class for no reason.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

jj2007 wrote:Has anybody noticed that there has been incredible activity over the past weeks?
Yes, mainly by upstarts.
j8w344c6 wrote:Because the next version of fbc (1.0.9) going to be released.
The membership, mostly, do not get excited about new releases, let alone potential new releases.
Munair wrote:I do not wish to be put in the same class
I should think not. There is a lot of unhealthy discussion of late. Some members welcome any discussion because of freedom of speech. What they fail to understand is that freedom of speech is for democracies. This is not a democracy – it is a peer support community. Anyone promoting an unhealthy discussion should be thrown out by their ear. So, who would decide what is unhealthy? An intelligent admin would be a good start, and one which responded quickly instead of dithering around.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

deltarho[1859] wrote:An intelligent admin would be a good start, and one which responded quickly instead of dithering around.
Totally agree. The admin is useless. I'll be so happy to see that guy get replaced.
Munair

Post by Munair »

deltarho[1859] wrote:There is a lot of unhealthy discussion of late. Some members welcome any discussion because of freedom of speech.
Indeed, and I've seen mods giving actual warnings of being banned, but nothing happened.
Last edited by Munair on Jan 06, 2022 15:06, edited 1 time in total.
fxm

Post by fxm »

coderJeff wrote:
dodicat wrote:The search still doesn't work inside the codeblocks.
Please try it now. I've switched the backend search function from the default setting.
Yes, but we went back to search word consisting of at least 4 characters (and no longer 3 as previously).
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

coderJeff wrote:Totally agree. The admin is useless. I'll be so happy to see that guy get replaced.
Munair wrote:This is not how I want to be part of a community.
Funny you should mention that. Image
Munair

Post by Munair »

deltarho[1859] wrote:
Munair wrote:This is not how I want to be part of a community.
Funny you should mention that. Image
@deltarho, if you have something to say, then say it. Otherwise, please get back on topic.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Blimey, that has told me. I was just responding to your comment. I was backing you up a little earlier.

You are getting a bit tetchy, Munair.

Have a green tea and watch the news for half an hour.
Plasma

Post by Plasma »

The minimalist design here dates way back to 2005 when v1c first set up the site/forum. It was his preference to have no avatars/PMs/emojis. The site has been redesigned since then but the style was maintained.

There is no technical reason why those things can't be enabled, if the majority of the current users want them. v1c's not around much anymore so I don't think he would mind (I can't fault him; neither am I). I do think it would help the forum feel more like a community, and encourage people to be more respectful. It's easier to be rude and insulting when everything is bland and impersonal.
Munair

Post by Munair »

Plasma wrote:The minimalist design here dates way back to 2005 when v1c first set up the site/forum. It was his preference to have no avatars/PMs/emojis. The site has been redesigned since then but the style was maintained.

There is no technical reason why those things can't be enabled, if the majority of the current users want them. v1c's not around much anymore so I don't think he would mind (I can't fault him; neither am I). I do think it would help the forum feel more like a community, and encourage people to be more respectful. It's easier to be rude and insulting when everything is bland and impersonal.
That really puts things in perspective and I agree with you completely. Thanks for sharing.
Munair

Post by Munair »

fxm wrote:
coderJeff wrote:
dodicat wrote:The search still doesn't work inside the codeblocks.
Please try it now. I've switched the backend search function from the default setting.
Yes, but we went back to search word consisting of at least 4 characters (and no longer 3 as previously).
Either it's a setting, or a version issue. phpBB 3.3.5 does show results of code box text, including 3-character words.
paul doe

Post by paul doe »

Plasma wrote:...
There is no technical reason why those things can't be enabled, if the majority of the current users want them. ...
PMs have been working for a while now. As for avatars and smilies, then yes, most members will agree on enabling them. Thanks for looking at the issue.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Munair wrote:
fxm wrote:
coderJeff wrote: Please try it now. I've switched the backend search function from the default setting.
Either it's a setting, or a version issue. phpBB 3.3.5 does show results of code box text, including 3-character words.
It's a configuration setting for MySql. I have to make the change on the server, reboot the server, and rebuild the index. I haven't got to it yet.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

paul doe wrote:
Plasma wrote:...
There is no technical reason why those things can't be enabled, if the majority of the current users want them. ...
PMs have been working for a while now. As for avatars and smilies, then yes, most members will agree on enabling them. Thanks for looking at the issue.
I'm not sure if PM's got enabled. I think last we were looking at was investigating what are the options for moderators if it's abused. What happens when message boxes fill up, etc. And need to ask Plasma for a little more HD space on the server.
coderJeff
Site Admin

Post by coderJeff »

Munair wrote:After installing and tweaking a forum for SBC using phpBB, I was wondering if this forum could actually use a face-lift? Personally I find and always found this forum a bit sober and not much attractive. With smileys disabled and no syntax highlighting for the code only adds to the grey-ish environment.

So I wondered, is it because the phpBB version used is old? Or is it a limitation of the server hosting the forum? I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one thinking the look of this forum is a bit out-dated.
phpBB software has to be updated. Which I haven't done before. Also have never had to restore the entire site from a backup. So it's potentially a risky operation. When I tried this on an offline server last time, everything worked except for recompiling the style sheets (theme). Because an style updated sheet compiler was not available.

I can muddle my way though but I'm not a web programmer. I just haven't spent the time on it, sorry.