error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Linux specific questions.
pjaramillo

error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by pjaramillo »

I am using Ubuntu-Mate 21.10, installed FBC but I get this error when running it.
> fbc: error while loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Does anyone knows how to solve this problem?

Thanks

pjaramillo
fxm

Re: error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by fxm »

Perhaps look at Installing, paragraph "Compiling under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, 64-bit".
Munair

Re: error loading shared libraries: libtinfo.so.5: cannot open shared object file

Post by Munair »

I had the exact same error on Manjaro, which I reported here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29432&start=180#p288596.

In my case, this is because Manjaro currently has libtinfo.so.6.
caseih

Post by caseih »

The canonical (no pun intended) solution for Ubuntu is to install the missing library. The distro packages you are looking for are libncurses5 and libtinfo5 (and maybe also you might need libncurses5-devel). This can be installed along side the version 6 that Ubuntu installs by default. You can install them via apt on the terminal, or using the package manager GUI program.
Last edited by caseih on Mar 17, 2023 14:43, edited 2 times in total.
Munair

Post by Munair »

Garfield wrote: Feb 01, 2022 6:51 The PKGBUILD provided by the package (right now) is broken. The maintainer has been provided a working PKGBUILD but just hasn't updated the package yet for some reason. I used the linked PKGBUILD to manually build from source and it worked. I
What OS (distro) are you referring to?

I used PKGBUILD for Manjaro and successfully compiled and installed fbc on Arch-based distro's. The dependency for this build is the latest ncurses, not ncurses5. For installation instructions, see viewtopic.php?p=289357#p289357

In case you wish to build the package yourself, here is the PKGBUILD I use.
oldtimer

Post by oldtimer »

Same problem when Freebasic 1.09 loaded into Fedora 35.
Roland Chastain

Post by Roland Chastain »

Same issue here on Mageia.

I searched which version of libtinfo was installed:

Code: Select all

[roland@localhost source]$ locate libtinfo
/usr/lib64/libtinfo.so
/usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.6
/usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.6.2
And I tried this wild solution, which works:

[roland@localhost source]$ sudo cp /usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.6.2 /usr/lib64/libtinfo.so.5
caseih

Post by caseih »

oldtimer wrote: Apr 19, 2022 20:10 Same problem when Freebasic 1.09 loaded into Fedora 35.
As always, the solution is still:

sudo yum install ncurses-compat-libs
Things like this can often be found by using one the rpm search sites (rpmfind.net, pkgs.org, etc), or by googleing for something like "fedora libtinfo.so.5 rpm" and seeing what the RPM indexing web sites report.

EDIT: It's been pointed out that this appears to be advising a user to install a package from a third-party site. This is not what I'm advising. I merely use the search sites to identify what package in Fedora contains a certain file I need, and then I install that package from the distro repositories using the "dnf" tool. Do not download rpms from random sites and install them unless you know specifically what you are doing.