AI that can write programs & stories

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
srvaldez

AI that can write programs & stories

Post by srvaldez »

I found this video by David Plummer https://youtu.be/k_EF42H2ZC0 intriguing
see GPT-3 OpenAI https://openai.com/api/
deltarho[1859]

Re: AI that can write programs & stories

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Makes me wonder what AI will be capable of when qubits are common place instead of the 'old-fashioned' bits. :)
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Equally, mind-boggling.
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Jun 19, 2022 4:08 Equally, mind-boggling.
I have not read the whole article, but if I see an article that predicts some big technical step within ~10 years, I am always very skeptical.

2nd line: "But imagine if you could create your very own twin, an exact copy of yourself, but one that lived a purely digital life?"
Really? In 10 years? Do they really mean exact copy? Including brain tissue & the workings?

Then the article throws in popular things: Formula One, efficient delivery, jetpacks, flying cars...
And more fancy terms: Sophisticated 3D computer models, the internet of things, Omniverse, Earth-2, European Space Agency...
And it seems to address many problems: Pollution, healthcare, tests of animals, floods, drought, earthquakes...

I say: Someone is looking for money for his/her research of start-up company. Or someone has a bit too much fantasy / wishful thinking.

Also the time-scale in interesting. 10 years is too far away for humans to comprehend.
Below the image: "Some experts say that thinking digital twins of humans may be just a decade away".
--> So 10+ years or longer
The title: "Why you may have a thinking digital twin within a decade"
--> Subtle difference
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

:)

When Oxford University and AstraZeneca got their heads together, they came up with a COVID-19 vaccine, which a few years earlier would have been laughed at with the short timescale achieved.

Sandra Wachter is a senior research fellow in AI at Oxford University. She said: “And so, we have a long ways to go until we can understand and model a person's life from beginning to end, assuming that is ever possible.” Jane Wakefield is a Technology reporter and not a “senior research fellow in AI at Oxford University.” :)

I am a sucker for cosmology news and read stuff by researches after reading stories by reporters and wondered what planet the reporters came from.
badidea

Post by badidea »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Jun 19, 2022 13:21Jane Wakefield is a Technology reporter and not a “senior research fellow in AI at Oxford University.”
That is part of the problem. The BBC earns money by writing interesting stories, but they cannot write complete nonsense. So they need scientists for content. And the scientist needs the reporter at get attention and maybe some money. It is for both beneficial to tell it as interesting as possible. I work for 20 years now as a simple technician in scientific research. I have seen the subtle difference reality and what is reported in the news.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Adam Boulton was the political editor of Sky News from 1989-2014 and then Editor-at large from 2014-2021. He left because he reckoned Sky News was veering too much toward digital reporting. He stopped voting at General Elections when he became a journalist.

It is a pity many at the BBC cannot say that. Go for a job there, and you are asked: “Are you left or right wing?”. If you answer right wing, the response is: "Oh, really. NEXXXXT!

:)
adeyblue

Post by adeyblue »

deltarho[1859] wrote: Jun 19, 2022 17:59 It is a pity many at the BBC cannot say that. Go for a job there, and you are asked: “Are you left or right wing?”. If you answer right wing, the response is: "Oh, really. NEXXXXT!
The only thing the left and right agree on these days is that [non-partizan mass media outlet of choice] is controlled by the other side. The espousing of this viewpoint, whichever side they're on, is a good way for normal people to figure out who they can safely ignore.

This is a comment on your joke, not your character. I neither know nor care about your political beliefs