The FreeBASIC Wiki is Hard to Read on Mobile

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
load81

The FreeBASIC Wiki is Hard to Read on Mobile

Post by load81 »

The wiki has a lot of good information on it. But, the wiki is really hard to read on a mobile device. The layout often defaults to two columns which is an implicit assumption that the user has a full sized desktop screen. Reading source code listings within articles requires a lot of pinch-zooming which is really annoying.

I realize that the FreeBASIC compiler does not presently target a mobile platform — though I wish it would — but I still think we're turning off potential new folks by not embracing a mobile friendly layout on the wiki. The main site handles mobile pretty well, and doesn't look too bad; the same is true of the forum. But, a new FreeBASIC user is likely to spend a lot of time on the wiki wrapping the head around the language.

A good example of a wiki that does mobile well is the Gentoo Linux Wiki, which has a FreeBASIC article by the way. Are there any plans to make the wiki more mobile friendly?
coderJeff
Site Admin

Re: The FreeBASIC Wiki is Hard to Read on Mobile

Post by coderJeff »

The last time I seriously messed with CSS was 15 years ago in creating the style sheets for off-line HTML and CHM documentation. In theory, if one were to investigate, they should find that nearly all of the wiki elements are rendered in HTML to DIV sections and it should be possible to reformat the wiki through CSS changes only.
marcov

Re: The FreeBASIC Wiki is Hard to Read on Mobile

Post by marcov »

(isn't there some google proxy to make links more readable on mobiles?)