Windows Messages

Windows specific questions.
deltarho[1859]

Windows Messages

Post by deltarho[1859] »

By kind permission of Stuart McLachlan, PowerBASIC forum member.

"I recently wanted to track down the meaning of the Windows Message &H0049 to understand a bit of code I found on the internet. It took me a while to find it. In doing so, I found a large list of Windows Messages so I decided to build a simple tool to do the lookup without needing to search the intertubes.

The code below lets you look up either the name for a message number or the message number for a name for messages from 0 to 1023 (&H0000 to &H03FF).
From &H0400 on there are frequently multiple meanings of the same message number depending on context. That will need to be another application :) "

Stuart McLachlan

Thanks, Stuart

WinMsgs.zip
deltarho[1859]

Re: Windows Messages

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Stuart has pointed out that his quote is misleading as it refers to the original version, which did not include the 1024+ messages.
Josep Roca

Post by Josep Roca »

deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Spoilt for choice, then. :D
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have put WinMsgs into WinFBE's Tools folder, allowing its invocation from within the IDE only when selected by a user.

With the original version if we clicked on WinFBE's editing window then WinMsgs would promptly do a 'vanishing act' so 'Stay on top' is now the default on loading.

If you are using a wide screen monitor you may be OK with it being open while you are editing; otherwise you may prefer to simply open it, use it and then close it. On closing its position is noted and that is where it will load on opening again. If you have more than one monitor, you could have it open on a different monitor to that used by WinFBE; which is what I will do.

Rather than adding to the 'User Tools' dialog you can drop the following into the WinFBE.ini file's [User Tools] section. See the '_05' and '6''? That will give you Ctrl+6 as your accelerator. Choose what is best for you.

USERTOOL_05=WindowsMessages|-|.\Tools\WinMsgs.exe|-||-|6|-||-|1|-|0|-|0|-|0|-|0|-|0|-|1|-|0

New version in opening post.

Have fun. :)

PS
@PaulSquires

Paul, you may like to consider adding WinMsgs to a future WinFBE release. :)