Windows 3.1x version

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
exagonx

Windows 3.1x version

Post by exagonx »

Hi friends, lately I'm finding myself having some software requests for old devices that mount MSDOS 6.22 and Windows 3.11, since they work perfectly on machines with very little hardware power, currently even the most recent versions of linux have considerable graphics requirements, I was curious to know if there was a version of freeBASIC with windows.bi that ran in 16 bit under windows 3.11
angros47

Re: Windows 3.1x version

Post by angros47 »

Mysift managed to make a version that compiled for Windows 3.1 with the win32s extension (viewtopic.php?t=27912). As far as I know, he didn't publish the sources, so you should ask him.

By the way, it is 32 bit, so it requires at least a 386 and Windows 3.1 running in 386 enhanced mode. There is no version that compiled to 16 bit, and it cannot be easily written, due to the memory constraints of 16 bit mode.

Question: can you use the DOS version of Free basic on your target hardware?
exagonx

Re: Windows 3.1x version

Post by exagonx »

angros47 wrote: Nov 21, 2022 7:46 Mysift managed to make a version that compiled for Windows 3.1 with the win32s extension (viewtopic.php?t=27912). As far as I know, he didn't publish the sources, so you should ask him.

By the way, it is 32 bit, so it requires at least a 386 and Windows 3.1 running in 386 enhanced mode. There is no version that compiled to 16 bit, and it cannot be easily written, due to the memory constraints of 16 bit mode.

Question: can you use the DOS version of Free basic on your target hardware?
Windows 3.11 remains natively 16 bit even if it can be booted in 386 enhanced mode, it doesn't matter if I need the mingw libraries to run 32 bit code it's not a problem because all the machines where it should operate use 486dx processors with numerical coprocessor, I thought about Windows 98 or 95 but require too much space on a device that can have up to 24MB of storage memory.

Currently my software starts under DOS and works perfectly but it would be nice to use the Windows 3.11 API to create the various masks and not have to manage everything from code.

From what he showed I don't understand how he did it I hope that's what I'm looking for.

I try with Mysift maybe he can help me.

Thank you for your answer.