Christmas comes early for dodicat

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
deltarho[1859]

Christmas comes early for dodicat

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@dodicat

I'd send you a private message, but you have admitted that you can go days between checking emails. I use MailWasherPRO and my Inbox is checked every 15 minutes. :D

It occurred to me recently that you are one of the most helpful guys on this forum.

I have an external 250 GiB SSD [Samsung T3] bought a few years ago, which I used for backups. I needed more space, so splashed out on an external 1TiB SSD.

I have an internal SSD and a 1TiB internal HDD with bags of unused space. The 250 GiB SSD is sat in a draw doing nothing.

If you want it, you can have it.

It requires a USB 3 port. It is backwards compatible so will work with USB 2 but it is very slow. Your PC may not have a USB 3 port. If you can fit a USB 3.1 card to your machine, you can get one from Amazon – they are as 'cheap as chips'.

My internal HDD with a 1GiB sequential Read/Write comes in at 189.3 MiB/s and 172.1 MiB/s. The 'little' SSD comes in at 438.8 MiB/s and 408.10 MiB/s. T3 uses exFAT and formats to 232 GiB (Done).

If you want it, send me a private message with your name and address. I will cover the postage – it should not cost much.

Samsung T3
dodicat

Re: Christmas comes early for dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Hi deltarho.
I have just checked my TalkTalk inbox, and I don't see a message in these last few weeks.
But maybe my wife has binned it, she has been having a bit of a clear up, and wouldn't recognize the name.
I note that the email trash folder is now empty.
I was contemplating getting one of these external drives for the HD of my old computer, which is still functioning, although the motherboard has failed. But never got around to it yet.
Procrastination seems to improve with age, as in like entropy is on the up.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

dodicat wrote:Procrastination seems to improve with age, as in like entropy is on the up.
My car foot pump fell apart after, what, over thirty years. Having been recently diagnosed with osteoarthritis in my knees, keeping my tyres at the correct pressure was proving difficult. The foot pump's demise was fortuitous. I got a posh one powered by the car. I dial in the required pressure and leave it to it. I bought it about it six weeks ago and have yet to use it. :)

The T3 will be put back in the draw.

MailWasher Free
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

I have had an idea.

My WinFBE_Suite has five toolchains totalling 1.47GiB disk space. My FreeBASIC development folder(216 folders, 2662 files) takes up 8.88GiB.

That totals to 10.35 GiB. I have put the lot on the T3. That still leaves 219 GiB of free space.

The whole of the WinFBE environment is now T3 based.

I won't be doing much testing, but the gcc compile times are clearly much faster.

:D
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

You may think that the FreeBASIC development folder has many small files which SSDs do not particularly like. That is true, so I do a daily backup, six in total, to the 1TiB (T5) mentioned in the opening post used for full system backups. So, a heck of a lot of many small files end up on T5. No, because as with most backup software, the FreeBASIC development folder is backed up with a single file. With normal compression that takes up 4.86GiB, currently, for each backup which is done in one minute three seconds; SSD to SSD.
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

I have an old pentium 3 up and running. (2 x 833 Mhz.), 512 Mb. RAM
2 x hard drives.
(I made this old box up years ago)
Xp dual boot win 98.
I can now test out the DOS compiler from win 98.
I have still to remove the hard drive from the broken computer.
Also I have to re grease the two two Pentium Xeon processors in another box, It is a fast machine, but was overheating badly.
These old computers weigh a ton, unbelievable, they have been lying around for years, nearly got sent off to Africa a few years ago.
I have some really ancient things stowed away, Sinclair spectrum, BBC acorn electric, Pentium 2, Pentium Pro . . .