Chatting with AI

General discussion for topics related to the FreeBASIC project or its community.
BasicCoder2

Re: Chatting with AI

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@deltarho[1859]
... but I should tell you that I will not be asking it any more on someone else's behalf!
Can but try :) If it is not of mutual interest that is fine I am not all that bothered if you don't share my curiosity.

I have searched online and see others have asked the same question.

I think if you are going to use the software it is probably wise to learn what it can't do and what its limits are.

At this stage I can't see Chatgpt being of any real use to myself to justify giving away personal information and eventually paying for it. I will just have to code the hard way and rely on the help of human coders who like to help when asked questions on the forums.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

Your post beggar belief, and I can't be bothered to say more than that. :(
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

:?
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

Confused?

:lol: I saw that coming – like reading a book. Some will also be confused, but I reckon that a lot will understand where I am coming from. You should have got Chatgpt to write your “if you don't share my curiosity.” and “giving away personal information” post because a ten-year-old would have done better. :)
dodicat

Post by dodicat »

Hi basiccoder2.
I hark back to the old days in fb when I used to write in another person.
The prose has changed slightly, probably due to the forum changes over the years.
Which all goes to show that anything computer based does not last.
It very slowly over time becomes garbled, like the story of the sea which you hear if a seashell is placed close to your ear. Or like the universe, they say that entropy is ever increasing, computer entropy increases at a very fast pace.
And that is everything in computing, floppy, cd, dvd, hard drives of all descriptions, clouds, computing is short lived.
Stuff has to be passed to new generations by always updating to pass to newer software and hardware, a bit like passing on stories by word of mouth, like the native Americans did (as an example)

But I remember a match for any AI.
viewtopic.php?p=148767&hilit=vegas#p148767
srvaldez

Post by srvaldez »

hi dodicat :)
I love that story
some years ago I sent my little sister that story and also this one viewtopic.php?p=159682#p159682
I liked your first story better but my sister liked the second better
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@dodicat

From what I have read being able to recall data is not the same as being able to think intelligently. Intelligence is the ability to process data to solve a problem. Of course you need data to process but having data alone will not mean it is being processed in an intelligent way. However working memory capacity has been correlated with the ability to process information to solve a problem. So memory is a requirement for intelligent thinking but is not itself an example of intelligence thinking. There is a difference between working out a list of instructions that will solve a problem and simply being able to execute those memorized instructions.

My understanding or how things improve over time is an example of accumulated knowledge. It may take time for something useful to be discovered but having been discovered it sticks and is built upon by future discoveries. This increased complexity involves the system as a whole increasing its entropy.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

deltarho[1859]
.. but I reckon that a lot will understand where I am coming from.
But do you understand where I am coming from?

I admit I am not the sharpest knife in the kitchen and maybe a 10 year old could have done better. That is for you and those that understand where you are coming from to decide. Because I don't understand I can't fix it.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2

You wrote: “Can but try :) If it is not of mutual interest that is fine I am not all that bothered if you don't share my curiosity.”

I have talked about Chatgpt in both this thread and 'Programming with Chatgpt'. It should be obvious to anyone reading both threads that I have more than just idle curiosity about this tool. I gave you a lot of the results that I was getting in the other thread.

The question then is what on earth are you talking about, saying: “I am not all that bothered if you don't share my curiosity.”

That is called 'shame into doing': “to persuade someone to do something by making them feel ashamed not to do it”. That is not a tack that one member of this forum should use on another.

So, what motivated you to stoop so low? Clearly, you wanted to keep access to Chatgpt without having to register.
Because I don't understand I can't fix it.
I reckon that you knew full well what you were doing, and I spotted it straight away and responded simply with: "Your post beggar belief, and I can't be bothered to say more than that. :( ". You responded with a 'confused' smilie, and you are trying it again with “I don't understand”.

You tried a childish gesture, and it backfired on you. You may get away it with some on this forum, but many will not tolerate someone trying to shame them into doing something.

No doubt, you will come back and say that I have misunderstood you. Given my obvious curiosity on Chatgpt the opening quote is indefensible.
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@deltarho[1859]

Curious with regards to ChatGPT having the ability to solve logic problems not ChatGPT in general.

Had the situation been reversed I would not have responded the way you did even if I thought the person was goading me into doing something. I would just have smiled and thought the cheeky %#&@%".

If it was a childish response then I apologize. I will try and be more careful in future.

Does ChatGPT have the independent ability to reason logically (see contradictions in its data) and draw conclusions from its data or is that just an illusion due to the way it works where any reasoning is a regurgitation of the reasoning humans used in their data.

I have been reading views of ChatGPT from experts in the AI field and think I am getting a clearer picture of it limitations. Although I see it could be a useful tool for others in certain areas I can't see what I would use it for.

I was just curious about chatGPT because AI has been an interest for me for a very long time, along with the workings of the human brain, and would read as many articles written by experts for the layman I could get my hands on.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

For those reluctant to register because their mobile number was requested, here is the reason after asking Chatgpt.
Mobile numbers are often requested during registration to provide a convenient and secure way to verify the identity of a user. This can help prevent fraud and ensure the accuracy of the information provided. In some cases, mobile numbers may also be used to send account updates, password reset information, or other notifications via text message.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

BasicCoder2 wrote:If it was a childish response...
So did you try a 'shame into doing'?
BasicCoder2

Post by BasicCoder2 »

@deltarho[1859]

Honestly at the time I didn't think anything at all. In my own mind it was a simple: "ok, if you aren't interested in coming to the concert/movie with me I am not bothered, each to their own". The last sentence I think was probably more revealing amounting to saying "Well, if you won't come to the concert/movies with me I will find someone who will".

I have reread the post and I agree it does read badly and who knows what was ticking on below my conscious awareness I may have been feeling rebuffed. I can only apologize sincerely and try hard not to write anything in the future that can be construed in a negative way.

Thanks for taking the time to enlighten me. Because I rarely socialize I do lack certain social skills.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

@BasicCoder2
I can only apologize sincerely
Thank you. I accept your apology.
Does ChatGPT have the independent ability to reason logically (see contradictions in its data) and draw conclusions from its data or is that just an illusion due to the way it works where any reasoning is a regurgitation of the reasoning humans used in their data.
I have no idea is the simple answer to that one.
Although I see it could be a useful tool for others in certain areas I can't see what I would use it for.
Nor I.

Some people are using AI to help generate videos for YouTube. One video editor with 20 years experience was impressed with using Chatgpt and other tools.
deltarho[1859]

Post by deltarho[1859] »

ChatGPT Plus is here: What you get for the $20 monthly subscription fee
ChatGPT Plus is priced at $20 per month. That's not a bad price when you consider OpenAI was rumoured to be considering a monthly fee of $42 for its paid offering.
Can you still use ChatGPT for free?

Yes. OpenAI plans to continue providing free access to the standard ChatGPT service. It said paid users will “help support free access availability to as many people as possible".
It will roll out in the US first.

As far as I know, the data collected runs up to 2021, but no doubt that will augment.

Looking better. :)