how do I install this?

New to FreeBASIC? Post your questions here.
JLThompson999

how do I install this?

Post by JLThompson999 »

OK, I tried downloading the FreeBASIC-x.xx.x-win64.zip file the documentation here says to download. The link does not take me to a zip file, instead I get a 7z file. The app I downloaded to extract it does not work. It gets 90% of the way there and then nothing for over an hour.

So I tried to downloading the FBIDE. That, at least, can be extracted. When I try to run the application get an error message saying that the compiler path is not set or corrupted. When I click on the Yes button to set the path, I get an "Open compiler" window popping up, set to "Documents." What am I supposed to do with this?
SARG

Re: how do I install this?

Post by SARG »

A zip version, hope you get no problem : https://users.freebasic-portal.de/sarg/ ... 11.2.0.zip

Instead FBIDE I suggest to use IUPeditor : https://freebasic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26030
It's easy to use and always maintened by VANYA.

To set the path/name of compiler/ help : select options/customizing the editor/ path.
Then eventually set your build options : options/customizing the build / give a name / set the build options

If you need more help feel free to ask.
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

OK, thanks for the links. I downloaded what I think is the right version for Windows and extracted the files. I got the IDE running. But I do not understand why it doesn't seem to work. I wrote a simple test program:

Print "Hello world."
Sleep

and tried to run it. And... nothing happens. Not even an error message. Can you tell me why this is so?
shadow008

Post by shadow008 »

<disclaimer> I have never used IUPeditor </disclaimer>, but I found the getting started guide https://iupfbeditor.sourceforge.io/getting_started.html

What you're describing makes me think you still need the compiler, not just the IDE. SARG provided a link, go ahead and grab it.
Once you get the compiler downloaded/unzipped, you follow that starter guide, specifically step 2 for windows, to get the IDE to use the compiler. After that you should be good to go.
SARG

Post by SARG »

What do you use to run ? eg menu build then option quick run.

In this last case if path for the compiler is correct you should see the output.
bfuller

Post by bfuller »

Put Sleep at the end of your code to keep the window open
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

OK, thanks for the getting started guide, but it seems to only be helpful if you know most of what to do anyway.

"Start the editor and go to the editor settings, where you should specify the path for the compiler"

Editor settings? Where are those? I see no such option. Specify the path for the compiler? How, exactly, am I supposed to do that? And I need very basic steps. These aren't things others Basic IDEs have required, I have no experience at all with this.
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

SARG wrote: Jan 11, 2024 15:05 What do you use to run ? eg menu build then option quick run.

In this last case if path for the compiler is correct you should see the output.
It does this both when pressing the compile and run button and when selecting it from the Build menu.
SARG

Post by SARG »

JLThompson999 wrote: Jan 13, 2024 23:16 It does this both when pressing the compile and run button and when selecting it from the Build menu
What do you mean exactly ?
And in the ouput window (bottom of editor) what do you see ? Normally it's the result of the compilation. Possibly copy and post it.
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

I mean it doesn't do anything no matter which way I tell it to run. And I still have no idea what the "path to the compiler" being correct means. As I said, no IDE I have ever used has required such setting. I am utterly unfamiliar with it.
SARG

Post by SARG »

Menu Options/Customizing the editor then PATH tab
There you can either type directly the path and name of the compiler or use the 3 dots button to select it.
Path/name are where the compiler is stored after downloading and uncompressing the zip file.
When you compile your code the output area shows the result of compilation not of the execution.
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

OK, I copied the path to where the compiler is located into the path field, as instructed. Then I tried to run the program again. This time, the output area shows the path to the compiler, the path to the program I am running, the words Make done, a date, and 0.00 sec. And nothing else happens. The program still doesn't run.
SARG

Post by SARG »

You get something like that

Code: Select all

D:\compiler108\freebasic64bit "D:\fbdebugger\fbdebugger-New\FBTEMP.bas"

Make done (10:29:44 | 0.00 sec)
I guess you only put the path in the field, you need to put path and NAME of the compiler : c:\....\fbc.exe
Then just use quick run (button with 3 colored circles)

It's mandatory that your code ends by a sleep otherwise the console window will be closed immediately and you will see nothing.
JLThompson999

Post by JLThompson999 »

OK, that's got it working now. Thank you very much for your help everyone!