Procedure for FB/Cygwin posted

Forum for discussion about the documentation project.
jonathanbrickman0000
Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 23, 2005 21:16
Location: Topeka, Kansas, USA
Contact:

Procedure for FB/Cygwin posted

Postby jonathanbrickman0000 » Mar 19, 2006 1:24

A procedure for compiling the latest FB from CVS for Cygwin, just confirmed to work, has been posted. It's the first item in the new section "Using CVS", in the DocToc.
Sisophon2001
Posts: 1702
Joined: May 27, 2005 6:34
Location: Cambodia, Thailand, Lao, Ireland etc.
Contact:

Postby Sisophon2001 » Mar 28, 2006 4:00

Hi jonathanbrickman0000

The runtime library and the extended runtime library have two versions, a single threaded version and a multithreaded version. The instructions on the wiki omit the step of building the multithread libraries.

make MULTITHREADED=1

My build procedure is very different from yours, so it was interesting to read.

Garvan
jonathanbrickman0000
Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 23, 2005 21:16
Location: Topeka, Kansas, USA
Contact:

Postby jonathanbrickman0000 » Mar 28, 2006 12:51

Thanks, Garvan! I updated the Cygwin wiki instructions. Does the same apply to non-Cygwin Win32 and Linux too?

The last I heard, Cygwin didn't do multithread. Perhaps that is very outdated.

If your procedure (or procedures) is/are easier to handle, or better for any other reason, I will be happy to change the wiki in their favor. I'm definitely flying by the seat of my pants in them: in other words, it's something of a miracle that they work!
Sisophon2001
Posts: 1702
Joined: May 27, 2005 6:34
Location: Cambodia, Thailand, Lao, Ireland etc.
Contact:

Postby Sisophon2001 » Mar 28, 2006 14:12

Hi jonathanbrickman0000

I do not use Cygwin, so I did not read that section of your docs, but I assumed you were using Cygwin to cross compile a windows version, which I suspect now might not be correct. Why would you want a Cygwin version of FreeBASIC?

I don’t understand much of this either, but have been compiling FreeBASIC for about a year now and have developed my own routine, picked up from past experience and from the posts on this forum (and qbasicnews before this forum opened). I tend to use windows tools and batch files or script files (in Linux) to automate the process. I don’t like typing long complicated commands that I have to look up every time, but all this automation falls on its face every time v1ctor changes the compile process, or if there is a chicken and egg problem, and I am watching TV at the time.

No one method is perfect.

The multithreaded versions of the runtime libraries are needed for windows and Linux. They should be compiled for both platforms.

Garvan
jonathanbrickman0000
Posts: 189
Joined: Dec 23, 2005 21:16
Location: Topeka, Kansas, USA
Contact:

Postby jonathanbrickman0000 » Mar 31, 2006 13:44

Sisophon2001 wrote:Hi jonathanbrickman0000

Greetings! :)
Sisophon2001 wrote:I do not use Cygwin, so I did not read that section of your docs, but I assumed you were using Cygwin to cross compile a windows version, which I suspect now might not be correct. Why would you want a Cygwin version of FreeBASIC?

Mostly because ncurses runs under Cygwin. With a fully working FB/Cygwin, I could use exactly the same code, excepting only file paths, under Linux as under Windows. There are other Cygwin resources that might be useful too, e.g., telnet/ssh capability.
Sisophon2001 wrote:I don’t understand much of this either, but have been compiling FreeBASIC for about a year now and have developed my own routine, picked up from past experience and from the posts on this forum (and qbasicnews before this forum opened). I tend to use windows tools and batch files or script files (in Linux) to automate the process. I don’t like typing long complicated commands that I have to look up every time, but all this automation falls on its face every time v1ctor changes the compile process, or if there is a chicken and egg problem, and I am watching TV at the time.

No one method is perfect.

That I believe. The Linux procedure, so far, has had no problems...but I understand, right now there's probably a library issue or something hidden from current testing :)
Sisophon2001 wrote:The multithreaded versions of the runtime libraries are needed for windows and Linux. They should be compiled for both platforms.

Garvan

Got it. Thanks!

Return to “Documentation”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests